THIS ONE is dedicated to my friends Michelle and David Zornes!
* * * * *
Matt Bevin easily won Kentucky’s governorship on Tuesday...
* FOLKS... BEVIN IS THE GUY WHO TRIED TO END SCUMBAG EXTRAORINAIRE MITCH MCCONNELL'S REIGN OF ERROR!
* GO, MATT, GO!
Polls prior to the vote showed a close race, with most surveys giving Conway, the state's sitting attorney general, a slight advantage.
Bevin, a self-funding investment manager, rode a late surge of outside support from national Republicans to defeat Democrat Jack Conway, 53 percent to 44 percent, according to The Associated Press.
* NICE ATTEMPT TO DISTRACT WITH THAT "SELF-FUNDING INVESTMENT MANAGER" AND "OUTSIDE SUPPORT" MEME, BUT, IT'S THE 9-POINT VICTORY MARGIN COMPARED TO THE "POLLING DATA" BLURB ABOVE WHICH IS THE TRUE "STORY WITHIN THE STORY."
Polls prior to the vote showed a close race, with most surveys giving Conway, the state's sitting (Democrat) attorney general, a slight advantage.
* AND APPARENTLY THE POLLS WERE... WRONG.
Bevin was outspent for most of the contest and had his tactics consistently questioned by his fellow Republicans. But a late $2.5 million spending blitz from the Republican Governors Association helped Bevin close the gap in television advertising in the final weeks.
As recently as mid-October, national Republicans were not spending money in the contest — his team insisted throughout the race that its candidate's ideological leanings on everything from abortion rights to ObamaCare to school choice were more in line with Kentucky voters and would allow them to survive a huge monetary disadvantage.
* OF COURSE THE RINOs WOULD SUPPORT THE DEMOCRATS BY ATTACKING BEVIN. GOOD FOR THE RGA FOR TAKING A STAND IN OPPOSITION TO THE WASHINGTON GOP POWER BROKERS!
Even with the late help from the RGA, Democrats outspent Republicans in the contest, $8.75 million to $5.5 million.
* GO, BEVIN, GO!
* GO, KENTUCKY, GO!
Even late in the race, when Conway's campaign was airing purely negative ads, Bevin's campaign mostly focused on "contrast" spots, mixing attacks on Conway with positive biographical information about Bevin, noting he was a "Christian conservative" who served in the military. They repeatedly said he was an "outsider businessman" running against Conway, a "career politician" and insider.
"Jack Conway is spending millions lying about me. It’s all he’s got," Bevin said in his closing argument ad. "That’s because Conway is a career politician who supports Obama’s agenda."
* GOTTA LUV HOW POLITICO WAITED TILL PARAGRAPH 14 TO WRITE "...CONWAY'S CAMPAIGN WAS AIRING PURELY NEGATIVE ADS.."