Peggy Noonan on Palin... and Trump
* * *
Sarah Palin’s public performances continue to be distinctive. Her endorsement of Donald Trump was less speech than podium jazz scat, with some early Elvis thrown in.
* AND WHO DOESN'T LOVE ELVIS...?!?!
“Trump’s candidacy, it has exposed not just that tragic, the ramifications of that betrayal of a transformation of our country, but too, he has exposed the complicity on both sides of the aisle that has enabled it, okay?”
* NOW WHAT NOONAN SHOULD WRITE IS... "AND OF COURSE SHE'S RIGHT!" BUT INSTEAD SHE RESPONDS...
Essentially: Bee-bop-a-lula he’s my baby. Palin was scattered, rambly; at moments she foraged through her notes in a way that was almost endearing, looking for lines that would connect and explode. But it’s not as interesting as it used to be because it’s not new.
* SERIOUSLY... WHAT A P.O.S. SO TRANSPARENT. NOONAN COULDN'T CARE LESS THAT THE GOP IS CONTROLLED BY... RINOs. (BUT OF COURSE... BEING A RINO HERSELF... HER POSITION DOES HAVE A INTERNAL LOGIC TO SUPPORT IT.)
* AGAIN... FOLKS... THE WSJ... NRO... FOX NEWS...
* THEY'RE ALL EITHER RIDDLED WITH RINOs... OR OUTRIGHT CONTROLLED BY RINOs.
If you’re in the mood for irony, here’s one. The great foes of Sarah Palin now are the people who made her a national figure in 2008, defended her and attacked her critics.
* UNFORTUNATELY... THIS IS INDEED PARTLY TRUE. (MOST PEOPLE ARE EASILY MANIPULATED.)
It is the GOP establishment that now most furiously disses and denigrates her.
* THE GOP ESTABLISHMENT ALWAYS FURIOUSLY DISSED AND DENIGRATED HER! (WHAT IN GOD'S NAME IS NOONAN BABBLING ABOUT...?!?!)
Everything has switched around in the GOP the past eight years. It is a world turned upside down.
* Er... NO. SAME REPUBLICAN ESTABLISHMENT. SAME REPUBLICAN ESTABLISHMENT THAT SUPPORTED FORD OVER REAGAN... BUSH OVER REAGAN... BUSH OVER BUCHANAN... DOLE OVER KEMP... MCCAIN... ROMNEY (OVER GINGRICH)...
* FOLKS. OBAMA WOULDN'T BE PRESIDENT IF IT WEREN'T FOR THE RINOs. HECK! CLINTON NEVER WOULD HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT HAD IT NOT BEEN FOR THE RINOs!
In the short term her endorsement is said to help in Iowa. It would have helped Ted Cruz if she’d chosen him, because for the first time it would have drawn a line, for some people, between real conservatives and Mr. Trump. So it’s good for Mr. Trump she’s off the table and on his side. But in the long run it’s probably a wash. Mrs. Palin brings her own mad excitement, but at this point she sort of helps you with people who already like you and hurts you with people who already don’t.
The clever thing Palin did in her remarks was to bring up Phyllis Schlafly, still a generally uncredited force in the making of modern conservatism and a brave woman. Mrs. Schlafly supports Mr. Trump because she believes the conservative thing to do about a rotting edifice — the Washington political establishment — is to tear it down. Mr. Trump will “defeat the king-makers,” Mrs. Schlafly told Breitbart.com.
I’d note that for those who admire the conservative philosopher-statesman Edmund Burke, this sounds radically at odds with his frequent counsel of restraint and respect for history.
* Er... WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE, PEGGY, IS... COMMON SENSE RECOGNITION OF REALITY!
But Mrs. Schlafly’s view, too, has Burkean antecedents. When he thought something so corrupt as to be destructive of British character and national life, he went at it root and branch, as he did with the East India Company, which existed at the heart of and was a symbol of the British establishment. He challenged imperial practices, which is to say imperial corruptions. The point here, again, is that what is at issue in the party right now is not the end of conservatism but what a conservative approach would consist of at this point in history.
* FOLKS. YOU DON'T NEED TO BRUSH UP ON YOUR "BURKEAN PHILOSOPHY." JUST... CONTINUE READING MY POSTINGS.
* BY THE WAY... JUST IN CASE ANYONE ISN'T "GETTING" THE TACTIC... NOONAN IS TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU THAT HER'S IS THE "LEARNED" OPINION BECAUSE... WELL... ONLY "LEARNED" PEOPLE BABBLE ON ABOUT "BURKEAN PHILOSOPHY."
* FOLKS. NOTICE. I WRITE IN ENGLISH. I'M NOT TRYING TO MANIPULATE YOU. AGREE WITH ME OR NOT, NO ONE CAN ACCUSE ME OF TRYING TO "BAFFLE WITH BULL$HIT."
* SIDE NOTE: IT REALLY DOES PAIN ME TO WATCH NOONAN MISUSE HER GOD-GIVEN WRITING TALENT IN THIS WAY...
* RONALD REAGAN MUST BE WEEPING UP IN HEAVEN...
What Mr. Trump really needs is to be endorsed not by Mrs. Palin but by a political figure with stature, some sane...
(*ROLLING MY EYES*)
* Hmm... A TINGE OF DESPERATION EMERGING...
...member or members or administrations past who could lend him credibility. He needs a gravitas injection. Trumpism suffers among its critics for a reputation for intellectual carelessness — it’s all political joyriding. Mrs. Palin’s presence does nothing to knock that criticism down, and in fact underscores it.
* GEEZUS... WHAT A BUFFOON NOONAN CAN BE WHEN SHE CLIMBS UPON HER HIGH HORSE.
* TAKE ANOTHER PILL, PEGGY... AND WASH IT DOWN WITH MORE VODKA.
(*SMIRKING AS I ROLL MY EYES*)
To a larger point. Eventually in this campaign some candidate is going to have to address Donald Trump and his rise in a thoughtful, serious way. The obvious one is Jeb Bush...
* HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!
* SERIOUSLY... I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE JUST WROTE THAT!
...by virtue of his name...
* PEGGY'S A BIG "ROYALTY" FAN, APPARENTLY...
* "...BY VIRTUE OF HIS NAME..."
...and its association with the way the party used to be — the old, orderly conservatism.
* ORDERLY...?!?! YA MEAN... DOING SUCH A LOUSY JOB THAT THE AMERICAN PEOPLE REJECTED YOU IN FAVOR OF... BILL FRIGGIN' CLINTON...?!?! OR... DO YOU MEAN IRAQ? OR... DO YOU MEAN "BUSH 2007/2008 ECONOMICS?"
(*JUST SHAKING MY HEAD*)
* THESE... PEOPLE... ARE... FRIGGIN'... DELUSIONAL...!!!
* PEGGY... HOW STONED WERE YOU WHEN YOUR WROTE THIS...?!?!
* FOLKS... I LITERALLY CAN'T STOMACH ANY MORE OF THIS. FEEL FREE TO FOLLOW THE LINK AND READ PEGGY'S BIG "ADVISE TO JEB BUSH" CLOSING MEME FOR YOURSELVES.