Jillian Kay Melchior via NRO
* * *
* TO PREFACE: I'M A CRUZ GUY. I ALSO LIKE RAND PAUL - THOUGH HE'S NOT GOING TO BE PRESIDENT. AS FOR TRUMP...
* WITH ALL OF HIS FAULTS... I LIKE TRUMP. IF HE WINS THE GOP NOMINATION I'LL ENTHUSIASTICALLY SUPPORT HIM AND... HOPE FOR THE BEST AFTER HE'S ELECTED PRESIDENT.
* TRUMP IS "MY GUY" WHEN IT COMES TO "IMMIGRATION." IT'S NOT THAT I AGREE WITH ALL OF HIS SPECIFIC PROPOSALS... HOWEVER... HIS POSITIONS AND ATTITUDE ARE CLOSEST TO MY OWN.
* SAME WITH TRADE! I WANT AMERICA TO STARTING MAKING THINGS AGAIN! (IMAGINE IF APPLE - AS JUST ONE EXAMPLE - MADE THEIR IPHONES RIGHT HERE AT HOME!) I'M A NATIONALIST - I BELIEVE IN "AMERICA FIRST" AND "AMERICANS FIRST." I BELIEVE THAT FREE TRADE WITH UNFREE NATIONS IS IMPOSSIBLE AND THAT ATTEMPTING IT LEADS TO UNFAIR TRADE. (LOOK AT THE DEINDUSTRIALIZATION OF AMERICA... THE ONGOING DESTRUCTION OF THE ONCE GREAT AMERICAN MIDDLE CLASS...)
* ON FOREIGN POLICY AND MILITARY POLICY... TRUMP IS A LITTLE BIT RAND PAUL AND A LITTLE BIT TED CRUZ. MEANING... I'D CERTAINLY TRUST TRUMP AS COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF OVER RUBIO... FIORINI... BUSH... KASICH... CHRISTIE...
* WHERE I'M IN 100% DISAGREEMENT WITH TRUMP IS ON THE ISSUES OF EMINENT DOMAIN AND ETHANOL - WHICH HAPPENS TO BE THE TOPIC OF THIS STAND-ALONE NEWSBITE.
One of the most destructive environmental subsidies in the United States has found an enthusiastic supporter in Donald Trump. “The EPA should ensure that biofuel . . . blend levels match the statutory level set by Congress,” he said yesterday in Iowa, adding that he was “there with you 100%” on continuing federal support for ethanol. “You’re going to get a really fair shake from me.”
* I ONLY HOPE THAT HE'S JUST TELLING THE IOWA VOTERS WHAT THEY WANT TO HEAR. YEP. POLITICS IS A FILTHY BUSINESS. NOPE. I CERTAINLY DON'T APPROVE OF THIS PANDERING... BUT TO A LARGE EXTENT... IT'S BUSINESS AS USUAL.
* MY OTHER CAUTION... COMMENT... IS...
* I'M FOR BIOFUEL! I'M AGAINST ETHANOL! THEY'RE NOT ONE AND THE SAME! (MASS PRODUCED CORN ETHANOL IS ONE PARTICULAR TYPE OF "BIOFUEL." THE AUTHOR NEEDS TO TALK TO SOME INDEPENDENT FARMERS...)
* I'M AGAINST GOVERNMENT MANDATES WHICH DISTORT FREE MARKETS WHILE MAKING INSIDERS (CRONY CAPITALISTS) FILTHY RICH!
The ethanol lobby has rigorously courted Trump since April, arranging to speak at least weekly, including at least three in-person meetings in addition to an ethanol-plant tour, the Wall Street Journal reports.
* AND HOW'BOUT THE OTHER CANDIDATES? (LET ME GUESS... THERE'LL BE NO "COMPARE AND CONTRAST" IN THIS NRO ARTICLE.)
* JUST... SAYIN', FOLKS!
Trump’s support for ethanol may win him votes in Iowa, but federal support for ethanol is a bum deal for Americans.
Under the 2007 Independence and Security Act, Congress mandated that the United States use 36 billion gallons of biofuels, including corn ethanol and cellulosic biofuel, by 2022. And the federal government not only requires the use of ethanol; it also subsides it.
* AND... TODAY... BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS ARE CONTROLLED BY THE... REPUBLICANS.
* THEY CAN REVERSE WHAT THE 2007 CONGRESS DID.
* JUST... SAYIN'...
Tax credits between 1978 and 2012 cost the Treasury as much as $40 billion.
* AND THE GOP CONTROLLED BOTH HOUSES OF CONGRESS BETWEEN 1995 THRU THE FIRST FEW WEEKS OF 2007.
* JUST... SAYIN'...
Moreover, numerous other federal programs, spanning multiple agencies, allot billions of dollars to ethanol in the form of grants, loan guarantees, tax credits, and other subsidies.
Taxpayers suffer in other ways, too. Vehicles can drive fewer miles per gallon using ethanol blends than they would with pure gasoline. So Americans end up spending an extra $10 billion per year for fuel, the Institute for Energy Research estimates.
Ethanol also guzzles 40% of the U.S. corn crop, and the resulting scarcity drives up the price of food. This year alone, the CBO estimated American consumers will spend $3.5 billion more on groceries because of the ethanol mandate.
Rising prices of corn feed have even put some small feedlots and ranches out of business. And as grocery prices increase, so does federal spending on programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.
* FILTHY... DIRTY... SCUMMY... DEATH-DESERVING POLITICIANS...
(*GNASHING MY TEETH*)
In a further hallmark of terrible policy...ethanol-intensive fuel blends can wreak havoc on car, lawnmower, and boat engines. In fact, many vehicle manufacturers will no longer offer warranties when ethanol comprises 10 percent or more of fuel; engine erosion simply becomes too common. So, we can’t really increase the total amount of ethanol mixed into our gasoline much more, but — especially as vehicles become more fuel efficient — Americans aren’t consuming enough gasoline to meet the Renewable Fuel Standards with a 10% ethanol blend. The EPA acknowledged this inconvenient mismatch last spring, setting three-year ethanol-use requirements at 3.75 billion gallons below the legal minimums.
* EVERYTHING THESE MORONS IN WASHINGTON TOUCH...
Ethanol’s green benefit is also far from certain, explaining why even many within the environmentalist Left question — or outright oppose — the federal government’s support.
It takes about 29% more energy to refine a gallon of ethanol than gasoline, and that process is often fueled by dirty sources like coal. Factor in the emissions generated during this production process, and ethanol sometimes comes in less green than old-fashioned gasoline. On top of that, burning ethanol also emits higher quantities of the chemical compounds that produce smog.
Then again, perhaps it’s not surprising that Trump likes federal support of ethanol. After all, the real-estate mogul’s business model has historically hinged on using tax abatements and other subsidies to make his building projects profitable. (An example: As we reported in August, Trump Tower — which features a Gucci store Trump claimed was “worth more money than Romney” — has received a $163.775 million tax break from the city of New York.)
* FINE! SLAM TRUMP FOR USING THE SYSTEM AS IT EXISTS FOR HIS ADVANTAGE! THE QUESTION IS... SINCE HE'S ALREADY A BILLIONAIRE... ISN'T HE MOST LIKELY TO "RATIONALIZE" TAX POLICIES SO THAT IN THE FUTURE THIS INSANITY DOESN'T CONTINUE? THAT'S WHAT I'M BETTING ON! TRUMP'S MADE HIS BILLIONS! HE CAN AFFORD TO TURN ON HIS FELLOW CRONY CAPITALISTS AND END THE GRAVY TRAIN! AND CERTAINLY... ABSENT TRUMP... NEITHER THE REPUBLICAN NOR DEMOCRATIC POLITICAL ESTABLISHMENTS WILL CHANGE A DAMN THING FOR THE BETTER.
* FOLKS... AGAIN... THIS ISN'T AN ELECTION BETWEEN "THE PERFECT" vs. "THE EVIL." WHAT WE HAVE NOW ARE DEGREES OF EVIL! THE LEFT REPRESENTS A STAGE 4 CANCER WHILE THE GOP ESTABLISHMENT REPRESENTS A STAGE 3 CANCER! TRUMP SEEMS TO BE LARGELY TAKING ON BOTH PARTY ESTABLISHMENTS! THAT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!
* FOLKS... YOU'RE ALL FAMILIAR WITH THE MEDICAL TERM "TRIAGE," RIGHT? I'M WITH MY FELLOW CONSERVATIVES ON EMINENT DOMAIN... ON ETHANOL... ON MOST ISSUES! BUT FOR GOD'S SAKE... WE'VE GOTTA PRIORITIZE! OUR NATION IS LITERALLY BEING INVADED! OUR NATION IS LITERALLY BEING DEINDUSTRIALIZED AND OUR MIDDLE CLASS IS UNDER CONSTANT ASSAULT! IT SEEMS TO ME... LET'S WORK ON FIXING THAT GAPING CHEST WOUND AND FOCUS ON THE STRAINED ANKLE DOWN THE ROAD!
Many of Trump’s constituents have rejected the so-called Republican establishment...
* AND IN THE END... THE AUTHOR TOTALLY OUTS HERSELF WITH THIS "SO-CALLED" NONSENSE. (GEEZ... HOW FRIGGIN' STUPID CAN YOU GET...?!?!)