Jessica Remo writing for NJ Advance Media
* * *
A recent Kean graduate has been charged with being responsible for a series of tweets threatening black students at the school two weeks ago, acting Union County Prosecutor Grace H. Park announced Tuesday.
Kayla-Simone McKelvey, 24, of Union – a black alum who graduated in May – was charged by summons with third-degree creating a false public alarm.
* YA KNOW WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD INVESTIGATIVE PIECE? HOW'BOUT A STORY DETAILING HOW MANY TAXPAYER DOLLARS WENT INTO THIS MORON'S "EDUCATION."
Park said an investigation by the Union County Prosecutor's Office's Special Prosecutions Unit and Kean University police found that McKelvey, a self-proclaimed activist...
(*GROANING OUT LOUD*)
* JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY... DOES THIS MORON HAVE A JOB?
...participated in a student rally to raise awareness of racism on college campuses on Nov. 17, but left midway through and walked to a computer station in a university library.
Once there, McKelvey allegedly created an anonymous Twitter account and began posting threats of violence against black Kean students.
* SOUNDS LIKE "TERRORISTIC THREATS" TO ME...
The first message around 10 p.m. said "kean university twitter against blacks is for everyone who hates blacks people" and a tweet about there being a bomb on the campus, and then continued with several other tweets about shooting black students at the university. "i will kill every black male and female at kean university — kean university (@keanuagainstblk) November 18, 2015"
* AGAIN... SOUNDS LIKE A TERRORISTIC THREAT TO ME!
After making the posts, McKelvey returned to the rally and attempted to spread awareness of the threats, authorities said.
That night on McKelvey's personal Twitter account she posted photos of the rally and screenshots of the tweets.
The university said approximately 100 students participated in "a peaceful rally" on campus that night with 10 students spending the night at the clock tower, "joining students across the nation to raise awareness of recent racial unrest at the University of Missouri and other college campuses."
According to McKelvey's LinkedIn profile, she graduated from Kean this May with a degree in Global Fitness and Wellness...
* A "DEGREE..."
...and currently works as a personal trainer.
* FOLKS... I BELONG TO A GYM. I UTILIZE MY MEMBERSHIP SIX DAYS A WEEK. I TAKE CLASSES. I'VE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF PERSONAL TRAINING. I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR PERSONAL TRAINERS! BUT... THIS IS "CERTIFICATION" STUFF... NOT COLLEGE STUFF.
* FOLKS... AS A SOCIETY... WE'VE GOTTA GET OUR HEADS OUT OF OUR ASSES!
She was also the school's 2014 homecoming queen and president of the Pan African Student Union, according to her profile.
* WOW... I'M GUESSING THAT THE PAN AFRICAN STUDENT UNION IS ONE HECK OF AN ORGANIZATION...
(*ROLLING MY EYES*)
A March article by Kean's student newspaper the Tower says McKelvey was also the organizer of a rally based on allegations of racism against a professor and Kean's Student Organization, but that "little to no evidence emerged to support the claims."
In response to the announcement of the charge, Kean released the following statement:
"We are saddened to learn that the person allegedly responsible was an active participant in the rally that took place on campus on Tuesday, November 17 and is a former student of Kean. As a diverse academic community, we wholeheartedly respect and support activism, however, no cause or issue gives anyone the right to threaten the safety of others. We hope this information will begin to bring a sense of relief and security to the campus community."
* "SADDENED?" HOW'BOUT "DISGUSTED?!" HOW'BOUT "OUTRAGED?!"
* FOLKS... THE INMATES ARE RUNNING THE ASYLUM.
Kean President Dawood Farahi spoke to students Tuesday afternoon during a previously planned campus discussion at the student center. He called the tweets a "heinous crime"...
* OK... THAT'S BETTER...
...and said, "We are saddened the person allegedly responsible was an active participant (of the demonstration) and a former student. No cause, no cause, can give anybody the right to threaten others."
* AND... BACK TO "SADDENED."
The investigation also revealed that there was never any plan to harm students, the prosecutor's office said.
McKelvey's first court appearance has been scheduled for Dec. 14.
* SHE SHOULD BE IN JAIL RIGHT NOW. AGAIN... TERRORISTIC THREATS.
* FOLKS... WHATCHA WANNA BET SHE'S A DEMOCRAT VOTER?