Seriously, folks, this is stuff everyone SHOULD know...
* * *
On December 3, The Washington Post reported that gun crime has been on the decline for about 20 years...
* JUST A QUICK OBSERVATION: WHY 20 YEARS? WHY NOT 30 YEARS? 40 YEARS? FIFTY YEARS? 60 YEARS? FOLKS... THIS IS HOW ONE "PLAYS" WITH STATISTICS.
...except for high-profile shootings in gun-free zones...
* IN WHERE...?
* GUN "FREE" ZONES...?
WaPo claims those shootings are on the increase.
According to WaPo, “In 1993, there were seven homicides by firearm for every 100,000 Americans. … By 2013, that figure had fallen by nearly half, to 3.6 [per 100,000].”
* AGAIN... WHY START THE TIMELINE IN 1993? WHY NOT 1960? OR 1900?
Breitbart News previously pointed to this decline and explained it correlated with a massive increase in privately owned firearms over the same period of time.
* THIS IS TRUE... BUT... JUST AS ANOTHER "TECHNICAL" HEAD'S UP... I BET IT ALSO CORRELATES WITH... UM... A MASSIVE INCREASE IN THE NUMBER OF AMERICANS WEARING SOFT CONTACT LENS AND CARRYING CELL PHONES...
* SERIOUSLY... STATISTICS SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO GRADUATE FROM HIGH SCHOOL.
For example, Congressional Research Service showed that the number of privately owned firearms increased from 192 million in 1994 to 310 million in 2009. And record background checks under Obama make it easy to see how tens of millions more privately owned guns have found their way into Americans’ hands since 2009.
So gun ownership increased for 20 years, but “gun homicides” decreased – except in gun free zones.
* YEP. MORE GUNS - LESS CRIME. MAKES PERFECT SENSE. I DIRECT YOU ALL TO JOHN LOTT'S WEBSITE.
WaPo points to a study by Mother Jones that claims that high-profile shootings began increasing in gun-free zones in late 2011/early 2012. The examples Mother Jones provides are the Aurora movie theater, Sandy Hook Elementary, and the D.C. Navy Yard, all of which were gun-free zones.
* FOLKS... IN ALL SERIOUSNESS... THE STATS AND ANALYSIS ARE ROCK SOLID ON THIS ISSUE.
Other examples of shootings in gun-free zones that could have been cited are Arapahoe High School (December 2013), Fort Hood (April 2014), Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church (June 2015), Chattanooga military offices (July 2015), the Lafayette Grand Theatre (July 2015), and Umpqua Community College (October 1).
Increases in gun ownership correlated with drastic reductions in firearm-related homicides, but creating zones where law-abiding citizens are denied the ability to be armed for self-defense have allowed high-profile attackers to find easy targets.