In response to the Muslim terrorism in San Bernardino on Wednesday, House Speaker Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) on Thursday argued that “mental illness” is a common “theme” among mass murderers in recent shooting sprees.
Ryan said early Thursday in an interview with CBS’s This Morning program:
You can’t help but watch this on TV and yell at the TV and say, ‘What can we do to prevent this from happening?’
* MORE "GOOD" PEOPLE ARMED. THAT WOULD BE A START.
So obviously we’re thinking of those things. This particular shooting in San Bernardino — there’s just too much unknowns before we speculate about the origin of this one.
* SEEMS LIKE WE'RE FINDING OUT MORE BY THE HOUR, MR. SPEAKER.
But what we have seen — and a common theme among many of these mass shootings — is a theme of mental illness.
* I WAS LISTENING TO SOME MORON BLOVIATE ON A TALK RADIO PROGRAM YESTERDAY ABOUT HOW "ALL TERRORISTS ARE MENTALLY ILL." WHAT ABSOLUTE NONSENSE. TERRORISTS KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY'RE DOING.
And we need to fix our mental illness laws, our policies. They’re outdated. And that is something that we are working on right now.
* IN ENGLISH... WITH DETAILS... WHAT ARE YOU BABBLING ABOUT, MR. SPEAKER?
We are moving a bill through the process here, the Murphy legislation, because we think that’s one of the more consistent and common themes — people with mental illness are getting guns and conducting these mass shootings.
* NO ONE WANTS THE MENTALLY ILL TO HAVE ACCESS TO FIREARMS... HOWEVER... QUESTION TO SPEAKER RYAN AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO INSTINCTIVELY APPLAUDS RYAN'S "COMMON SENSE" SENTIMENTS:
* IS RYAN TALKING DECLARING CERTAIN AMERICAN CITIZENS INSANE - LEGALLY INSANE - SO AS TO HAVE A LEGAL PRETENSE TO STRIPE THOSE DEEMED "INSANE" OF THEIR SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS? IF SO... BY WHAT EXACT FORMULA? WHO WILL POSSESS THIS POWER? WHO WILL WELD IT?
* MORE IMPORTANT... AND THIS GOES TO THE HEART OF THE QUESTION OF SINCERITY AND INTELLECTUAL CONSISTENCY... IF A CITIZEN IS DEEMED LEGALLY INELIGIBLE TO RETAIN HIS OR HER SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS... WOULD THAT INDIVIDUAL ALSO BE STRIPPED OF HIS RIGHT TO VOTE... HIS RIGHT TO BE A PARTY TO A LEGALLY BINDING CONTRACT?
* YEAH, FOLKS... I KNOW THAT ACTUALLY THINKING THINGS THROUGH GIVES MANY A HEADACHE... BUT... CAN ONE BE DEEMED "LEGALLY INSANE" AS REGARDS THE SECOND AMENDMENT BUT "SANE ENOUGH" - MENTALLY COMPETENT IN A LEGAL SENSE - TO RETAIN THE FRANCHISE AND ALL THE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS OF AN ADULT CITIZEN?
* WHAT SAY YOU, MR. SPEAKER?