Friday, April 27, 2012

My Buddy the Tory


No, I'm not referring to an English friend of mine - a modern Tory.

No, I'm referring to an American friend.... one of those Republican "conservatives" who truth be told I'm convinced would have been a Tory - an American Tory - had he lived back in Revolutionary War times.

Oh, this particular friend is not my only Tory friend. No. I have others. Indeed, sometime back my best friend - upon consideration of my "name-calling" - responded by calling me up several days after the charge was leveled to say, "Hey, Bill... you're right! I would have been a Tory!"

(Hey... ya gotta respect that! Self-knowledge is a rare gift!)

But, anyway, back to my other buddy... the one whose email message to me yesterday has provoked this particular long overdue post.

If you scroll down a bit you'll find a stand-alone post I added to Usually Right yesterday. The title: The Scumbag Thirteen." This Tory friend of mine was on my distribution list. His response...

"Bill, there  you go again. I'm with you brother, but this isn't the way to make progress."

My response to him? Well... let's just say that we agreed to disagree. Yes... I understand where he's coming from, but what he doesn't seem to understand is that there comes a time when one needs to fish or cut bait.

This particular friend... he hates it when I slam Republicans. Don't criticize George W. Bush to him or else things may well get heated! (Oh... I can blast Nan Hayworth - because he personally dislikes her... feels she personally betrayed him - but when I go after Boehner and McConnell... let alone a Mark Rubio or Chris Christie - it's suddenly "circle the wagons" time.)

No. My buddy isn't a hypocrite. Indeed, he's one of the most honorable people I know. It's just that like all too many Republicans, his "institutional loyalty" blinds him to the bottom line that past a certain point partisan loyalties can't be allowed to contribute to the enactment of a mutual suicide pact.

This man I'm talking about proudly served his country. He "wore the uniform." But I swear... from everything I know about his mindset, I'm convinced that had he been of age back during the time of the Revolutionary War, he would have volunteered to "fight for the King" in an effort to "conserve" the existing order which his "crystal ball past self" would have no doubt referred to as "the Rule of Law."

Funny... he's not the only one. I've already mentioned my best friend - the one who acknowledges he would have been a Tory... would have favoring "hanging the rebels." Allow me to mention another - also a military veteran. He and I actually stopped talking to each other for about two years after we got into an argument over this exact scenario and my insistence that he would have viewed George Washington as a traitor!

So... how'bout the rest of you?

Are you "pro-rebel" like me or "conservative" like my three aforementioned friends?

If you can justify - let alone upon reflection sincerely announce - that our American Revolution was justified and you would have supported it had you lived back then... what of now?

Do you view America 2012 as the Constitutional Republic created by our Founders and demanded by our Constitution?

Are there any among you who deny that the gerrymandered voting districts that are the building blocks of our "democracy" are artificially rigged... all in plain sight?

Do you believe that our "Thelma and Louise" federal government is likely - or even theoretically able - to slam on the breaks before launching us all over the cliff beyond recall... beyond redemption?

If you answer "no" to all three questions... then what's the answer? What's your answer?

Me? I fantasize. 

I wonder... what would be the result if some master assassin were to issue an ultimatum to the federal government that for each month the federal government continued deficit spending two politicians - one representing the leadership of the Republican Party, the other representing the leadership of the Democratic Party - would be killed.

Imagine... May 1st rolls around and someone takes out Boehner and Pelosi.

June 1st rolls around and someone takes out Reid and McConnell.

Drastic? Yep. Illegal? Certainly! (Folks... it's a fictional scenario... a theoretical construct.)

But would it work...?!?! Would it put the fear of God into the politicians...?!?!

One thing I know: America is in terminal decline. I outline how and why each day here at Usually Right.

I have a daughter. I have godchildren. I have nieces and nephews and sons and daughters of friends. I'm thinking of their future. 

Is political assassination the answer? No. Is revolution the answer? No. But think about it... really think about it... where does the path we're presently on lead?

Will we just sit back and watch the continued decline as once Romans did... as within living memory Englishmen did and Soviet citizens did?

It would be bad enough if we were talking about a corrupt but competent government. But we're not. We're talking a selfish, reckless, destructive oligarchy who are slowly but surely taking our childrens' and grandchildrens' futures away from them.

Oh, well... perhaps I'm getting all worked up over nothing. Maybe the American Tories are right. Let the government abuse the People and in the meantime each man and women for him or herself!

Let's "work within the system." I mean... after all... look how well that's been working for the American People since the Wilson era!

Oh, well... forgive the rambling. (And DON'T report me to Homeland Security! Heck... I don't even own a gun!)

No comments: