Monday, January 24, 2011

My Reaction To My Congresswoman's Facebook Page


Well, folks... I just received the following group email from Congresswoman Nan Hayworth's office:

Friends,

Now that we have transitioned into office I want to ensure the same level of access and communication with you continues.

To that end, I've created official congressional Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, and YouTube pages. I'll be using these new pages for all the latest congressional news and information.

Please help spread the word by passing these links along. Also, make sure to go to my official website at www.hayworth.house.gov and sign up to receive newsletter updates.

Yours truly,

Nan

And here's how I replied after browsing these new "Hayworth Links"

Nan,

With all due respect, I'm more interested in exactly WHAT your views are and WHAT you said to others and WHAT they said to you than in knowing that you've been "chatting" with your colleagues.

What's the point of directing viewers to videos of press conferences? What we're looking for - what I'm looking for at least - is for SPECIFIC updates of what you think, why you think it, what you're doing about it, and how you're progressing in terms of forwarding our agenda.

Perhaps it's simply a generational thing. (Though you and I are the same generation.) Call me "stuffy," but I'm looking for info, not soundbites. I'm looking for you to share your thoughts with me and others.

Nan, I've advised you before and I'll advise you again - start a blog which will serve as your online public diary. Whether you find time to update every day or not... whether you have time on some days to write a sentence or a paragraph or two and perhaps on other days a short essay... communicate with us directly.

Facebook, Flickr, Twitter... (*SIGH*)... I suppose they have their place. But, Nan, "reaching out" effectively means far more than simply establishing "contact." I want to know what you're thinking and doing in real time - or as close to it as is feasible.

You might wanna follow the lead of Ron Paul. He sends out his "Texas Straight Talk" emails once or twice a week.

You might also want to emulate Sarah Palin's use of Facebook to issue straight from the heart statements which come across more as genuine conversation than internet press release.

I know it's going to take time for you and the staff to get everything set up the way you want it. I know you understand that what I'm trying to give you here is CONSTRUCTIVE advice on how best to do your job and connect with constituents and our fellow out-of-district American citizens.

BILL

No comments: