Saturday, July 30, 2011

Did Peggy Noonan Visit Usually Right...?


Hey, folks... here's an interesting mystery...

Yesterday I commented - on the WSJ comment pages - on Peggy Noonan's latest inane column.

Along with my comment I left this website's address/link so that Noonan/WSJ readers could avail themselves of the opportunity to... er... learn stuff.

(*WINK*)

Funny enough, I did get one reply - a reply from an unhappy camper it seems!

Justin said...

Hey, I just read your comment on Peggy Noonan's column. Tell me...what good does it do being right if you're a smarmy jerk in the process? How do you expect to convince people? HEY EVERYBODY, I'M AN OBNOXIOUS ASSHOLE, NOW LISTEN TO HOW WRONG PEGGY NOONAN IS!!!

Come on. Do a better job with all this, or you're part of the problem.

July 29, 2011 2:35 PM

Hmm... I can't help but wonder... could "Justin" have actually been good ol' Peggy herself?

Here's why I ask: Upon checking to see if "Justin" (or anyone else) had replied to my WSJ comment page commentary concerning Ms. Noonan's Friday column I found...

(*PAUSE*)

...the comment gone!

Not only was my comment gone, but...

(*ANOTHER PAUSE*)

...there were no "Justin" comments anywhere on that particular page or indeed anywhere after the point where I had posted my comment.

I mean... you'd think that if someone was going to take the time to head on over to my blog to comment on something I had written on another site that before doing so they would initially reply to me on the site in question... wouldn't you...?

Anyway... just to further respond to "Justin's" (Peggy's?) shot...

Yep. I can be obnoxious! Damn straight...!!!

I prefer to think of it as "caustic wit," but, hey... "obnoxious" is fair enough. Guilty as charged!

(*HUGE FRIGG'N GRIN*)

As to Peggy's (er... I mean "Justin's") question of "What good does it do to be right..."

Well... for me... being right is its own reward - indeed "being right" is my purpose in hosting this blog and indeed in my commentary whenever and wherever!

As to "convincing" people...

(*SMIRK*) (*SNORT*) (*LAUGHING OUT LOUD*)

Most people are fools - incapable of being "convinced."

And, hey... even if this weren't the case... "convincing" isn't my strong suit - being right is!

Listen... in my own "character" defense... you folks who know me (either in person or just via my writings) know that 9 times out of 10, if I'm actually being nasty... being "mean"... it's not simply because someone is disagreeing with me or not "getting" my point. Nope. I have plenty of patience with sincere and reasonable disagreement.

What sets me off is if someone snarks first; and I'll really go nuclear when someone tries to lie his or her way through a debate.

Folks... whether you agree with my philosophy or not... whether you enjoy my "style" or not... the one thing no one can ever accuse me of is lying in order to "win" a debate.

If only everyone played by such rules we might have a chance of saving this country. Unfortunately... entire generations of Americans have been taught that their "views" are as sacrosanct as any mere "facts."

God help this once great nation..

No comments: