Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Where's My Flying Car...?!?!


Got out of the shower at the gym after this morning's workout to find a "human interest" segment on the news highlighting a guy who flies around via jetpack.

My reaction...?

I want one...!!! (What the hell did you expect my reaction to be?!)

All of which got me to thinking...

Where's my flying car...?

I was promised a friggin' flying car!

OK... maybe not "promised"... but strongly steered into the premise via the Jetsons.

And where's our Moon Base? (And our Mars Base...?!?!)

Yeah, yeah... I've got the friggin' internet; big deal! (Yeah... I know it is... but not in the way a flying car, jetpack, Moon Base, or Mars Base would be!)

iPhones...? iPads...?  Great if you never want a moment of piece or if you're so limited as an individual that the idea of relying upon your own consciousness for amusement and contentment leaves you cold.

Where are all the adult "toys" previewed via Popular Mechanics when we were kids?

Is your car big? Is it fast? Is it comfortable? Well, folks, my inferno red Dodge Charger with the HEMI is all of that, and though it also has Bluetooth compatibility (and verbal command/response mode) I surely didn't purchase "Hank" for the "tech" - I purchased "Hank" for the engine... the performance... not for the "practicality."

July 20, 1969.

I watched Man first step foot on the Moon. Live. From the floor of Uncle Art's and Aunt Fran's house in Saugerties, NY. 

I was 7 years old.

Today... at 51... tears well up when I recall that nowadays... the year 2013 of the Age of Obama... the only way Americans get into space is via paying the Russians to take us.

Anyway...

  

No comments: