Monday, January 28, 2013

Amusement Park Fast Passes


My buddy ("He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned!") and I were having a broad, eclectic discussion this morning and once again...


We Find Ourselves In Perfect Agreement...!!!

The whole amusement park "fast pass" scam goes beyond being simply an exercise in extortion; when you think about it, it's ethically bankrupt!

A bit of contextual reflection...

I have a pretty good lifestyle. Indeed, I've always had one. While my upbringing largely teetered between lower middle and middle class, in certain aspect it was more "upper middle" class.

"He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned" grew up in circumstances perhaps a strata ahead of me... firmly ensconced within what I'll call "the skiing middle class"... but by and large the way we were raised and the values we were taught shared a definite overall commonality.

I'm a showier guy than "He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned" - at least out on the public stage.

I believe in "If you've got it, flaunt it!"

The thing is... not in an obnoxious way. And by "it" we're talking earned, not given!

I've never felt guilty about dining at a fine restaurant or staying at a ritzy hotel or living the high life on occasion... (frequent occasion...)

At the same time, I've always recognized - and respected - that  aside from personal choices (hierarchy of needs, so to speak), not everyone can afford to splurge where and when I can.

Ya know folks... there are hard-working parents out there who save for years for that dream trip to Universal Studios.

Imagine these parents on line with their kids...

Now imagine what these parents feel... what their kids feel... think... wonder.. when family after family of entitled assholes with fat wallets and fast passes are allowed... nay, encouraged... to flaunt their monetary "superiority" via what amounts to cutting the line - all because they can afford a fast pass.

Folks... this ain't the same as saying, "you get what you pay for." No. I don't believe it is. I don't believe it's akin to slipping the maitre d' a $20 or a $50 or $100 to get a table at a hot restaurant with no reservation. No. This is about respect for one's fellow park guests... for one's fellow human beings.

For Christ's sake, folks... if Americans can't all be equal at Universal Studios... 


(*JUST SHAKING MY HEAD*)

Anyone think I'm rambling? I'm not. (Well... maybe a bit... but with a larger point in mind!)

Each day here at Usually Right I point at what's wrong in America. Folks... it ain't just "politics" that's broken. We're losing touch with who We are... with who "We The People" are.

There will always be rich and poor, and that's fine!

And, geezus... money is for using... for leveraging...

BUT IT'S NOT FOR BEING ABUSIVE, FOLKS! THAT'S MY POINT!

Me and "He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned" are both idealists in our own ways. Corny idealists in certain ways, I suppose. But that ain't bad, folks... that's good!


(*SELF-SATISFIED NOD*)

So what's the point of this stand-alone post...?


(*CHUCKLE*)

The basic point: Next time you go to Universal Studios or some other amusement park... DON'T do the fast pass thing!

The big picture point: If you have money... great! Enjoy! More power to you! Just as a cautionary note though... don't let money turn you into an asshole. Instead let your inner "best self" be reflected in how you handle being one of life's winners!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

While I cannot speak for other amusement parks, I can tell you that this is not the case at Disney. At Disney, FastPass is included with the price of your park admission. The key is to know how to use FastPass in the most efficient manner. When we first enter the park, while the rest of the group goes to the first ride to get on line, I make a bee line to the second ride and get FastPasses for us all. Then once we are done with the first ride, we head right over to the FastPass line for the second ride! And so one and so one...

William R. Barker said...

Carl. Just sign your friggin' name!

(*GUFFAW*)

Geezus... as if the FBI, Homeland Security, ATF, the NSA, CIA, and all the other alphabet agencies don't already know we're buds...

(*STILL CHUCKLING*)

In any case, thanks for the clarification! You are indeed correct!

I was using Disney "generically" but I shouldn't have. I should have double-checked.

William R. Barker said...

Notice... I've "updated" the post and removed "Disney" and replaced them with "Universal Studios."

(After double-checking of course! And, yes... Universal does commit the "sin" in question!)

Folks... WHENEVER I make a mistake - as I did here - PLEASE correct me as Carl did!

My apologies to Disney... an organization that apparently shares the views of myself and... (*DRUM ROLL*)... "He Whose Name Dare Not Be Mentioned!"