Tuesday, December 16, 2008

If You're Like Me...


...you read quite a lot.

At Christmas time - and other gift giving occasions as well - Amazon.com and Borders (their brick and mortar stores) are two of my "go to" gift source locations. Amazon.com merits my business based upon price and the convenience of being able to shop wearing only my skivvies (without risking arrest!); Borders based upon those 20%-50% off coupons I regularly receive as a Borders "Rewards" member and also rooted in my love of physical book stores where I can browse and then sit around for hours if such is my desire, reading whatever catches my fancy as I avail myself of fresh made gourmet coffee and perhaps even treating myself to a luscious dessert or other self-indulgent snack.

On a previous thread I expounded upon the books I'm presently reading. One of those books (shhh... it's a secret which one!) is now on order from Amazon.com to be given as a gift to my daughter Kim. I had thought about gifting another book from that list of my own current reading to my buddy Phil's son Sam, an extremely bright young man presently a junior in high school, but while browsing found an alternative that I believe may have a greater impact upon him given his interests and mindset. For Sam, young, sincere budding environmentalist and friend of the Earth that he is, I ordered... (shhh... this title too must be kept under raps in case Sam or his dad wanders by!).

For obvious reasons I'm being careful - no doubt overly cautious - in not giving away specifics of gifts where the soon to be recipients may stumble upon them and thus spoil the surprise. But as to any readers of this blog who are specifically cyber-friends and cyber-acquaintances, I pose this question: Which books, DVDs, and CDs are you giving as gifts this year?

I have a friend, Rob, who years ago shared one of his gift philosophies with me. Rob appreciates it when gift givers give him their favorite CDs. Yes. Their favorite CDs! His logic is unimpeachable. By receiving music CDs that others consider "best in class," Rob effortlessly expands his own musical horizons and, while doing so, honors the giver in advance for his assumed good taste! It's a win-win!

Expanding upon Rob's gift receiving philosophy, I often follow the same rule of thumb as a gift giver, especially when it comes to my nephews (both blood kin and "honorary"). In years past I've given everything from "Alakazam The Great" to the entire "Great Brain" series as gifts to various nieces and nephews. This year I'm introducing one of the kids to Robert A. Heinlein while another is receiving two books authored by the late Henry Winterfield.

The common theme...??? Books, movies, TV shows I loved as a kid. Oh, sure, today's hot "must haves" also make the Barker gift list, books like "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" and "Breaking Down (The Twilight Saga, Book 4)" have been ordered and will be gifted, but over the years and hopefully long into the future, I'll continue to share with younger generations the entertainment highlights of my own childhood.

So... how about the rest of you? As Christmas and Hanukkah draw ever nearer, what presents are you picking out for the children and young adults in your lives?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone giving me a gift of music THEY love, seems to me to be a surefire way to ensure continued employment for landfill operators (LOL)

Rodak said...

Frankly, Bill, you lost me with your header...

William R. Barker said...

(*GRIN*)

Cute, Rob.

(Rob shoots... ROB SCORES!)

(*CHUCKLING*)

BILL