* * *
Donald Trump has brought out the largest crowds in the history of primaries. He has won the most victories, the most delegates, the most votes. He is poised to sweep three of the five largest states in the nation — New York, Pennsylvania and California.
* THIS COLUMN IS FROM THE 18TH - TUESDAY.
If he does, and the nomination is taken from him, the Republican Party will be seen by the American people as a glorified Chinese tong.
* I DOUBT THE AVERAGE AMERICAN KNOWS WHAT A TONG IS... BUT... YEAH... I GET HIS POINT - AND HE'S RIGHT.
Last week, Ted Cruz swept 34 delegates at the Colorado party convention. Attendees were not allowed to vote on whom they wanted as the party’s nominee.
This weekend, Cruz shut out Trump in Wyoming the same way.
What does this tell us?
Cruz has a better “ground game.”
His operatives work the system better.
* NOTICE HOW BUCHANAN USES THE WORD "OPERATIVES." (SMART GUY...)
(*HUGE FRIGGIN' GRIN*)
Ted Cruz is the king of small ball.
But having gone head-to-head in some 30 primaries and caucuses, Cruz has fallen millions of votes behind Trump, and will fall millions further behind after New York, Pennsylvania and California.
Cruz will soon join John Kasich in being mathematically eliminated from winning the nomination on the first ballot. His fallback strategy is to keep Trump just short of the 1,237 votes needed for victory on the first ballot, and then steal the nomination on the second.
* I KNOW... I KNOW... MANY OBJECT TO THE WORD "STEAL." FRANKLY... I DO TOO. AS I'VE SAID ALL ALONG, I'M COOL WITH A RUN-OFF SHOULD TRUMP NOT REACH 1,237 PRIOR TO THE FIRST BALLOT. THAT SAID... I'M SURE YOU ALL "GET" THE POINT BUCHANAN IS MAKING BY USING THE WORD "STEAL." AND... WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT... THAT'S EXACTLY THE WORD MILLIONS OF AMERICANS WILL HAVE ON THEIR LIPS IF IT HAPPENS.
* AND THAT WON'T BE GOOD - FOR AMERICA! (AGREED?!)
In state after state, he is getting Cruz loyalists elected as Trump delegates.
* AGAIN... WE CAN GET ALL CAUGHT UP IN ARGUING THAT THEY'RE NOT "TRUMP DELEGATES," BUT THE FACT IS... BEING RIGHT ISN'T GONNA BE MUCH COMFORT FOR THOSE OF US LOOKING TO SAVE AMERICA WHEN MILLIONS OF "OUR" (POTENTIAL) VOTERS GET SO DAMNED PISSED OFF AND DISILLUSIONED THAT THEY SIT OUT THE ELECTION AND THUS ALLOW A LEFTIST TO BE ELECTED.
After casting an obligatory vote for Trump on the first ballot, the turncoats will go over the hill and vote for Cruz on the second ballot.
* AGAIN... YOU CRUZ FOLKS... YOU DON'T NEED TO GO AFTER BUCHANAN'S USE OF THE WORD "TURNCOATS." YOU'RE RIGHT. ACCORDING TO THE RULES THEY'D JUST BE... DOING WHAT THEY'RE ALLOWED TO DO. YEAH. *I* GET THAT. YOU GET THAT. BUT MILLIONS OF AMERICANS WHOM "WE" NEED VOTING REPUBLICAN IN NOVEMBER AREN'T GONNA "GET IT."
Faithless delegates are preparing to switch to give Ted Cruz a nomination that he could not persuade Republican voters to confer upon him.
Like the 1919 World Series, the fix is in.
The rules are the rules, says Republican National Chairman Reince Priebus in defense of what went down in Colorado and Wyoming. And Priebus is correct. The rules are the rules. But what is also true is that the rules have been and are being manipulated by party elites to frustrate the expressed will of a Republican electorate, and to impose a nominee other then the clear winner of the primaries.
* AND, AGAIN, CRUZ FOLKS... IF PRIEBUS AND THE ESTABLISHMENT HAVE THEIR WAY THEY'RE NOT JUST GONNA DENY TRUMP THE NOMINATION - THEY'RE GONNA FIND A WAY TO DENY CRUZ THE NOMINATION!
Republican elites are engaged in a conspiracy to frustrate and overturn the democratic decision of the Republican electorate.
* THEY'RE CERTAINLY TRYING...
Prediction: If Trump sweeps the remaining major primaries, comes to Cleveland with millions more votes than any other candidate, and then has the nomination stolen from him, the Grand Old Party will be committing hara-kiri on worldwide TV.
* AGAIN... (*SIGH*)... THE PROBLEM IS: THEY... DON'T... CARE! THEIR OBJECTIVE ISN'T "WIN THE ELECTION AT ALL COSTS." NO. THEIR OBJECTIVE IS TO HANG ON TO THEIR PERSONAL POWER AT ALL COSTS! THESE FOLKS WILL GLADLY LOSE THE ELECTION IF BY DOING SO THEY RETAIN CONTROL OF THE LEVERS OF POWER (AND PORK... AND PRESTIGE... AND PROFIT) WITHIN THE GOP - EVEN IF THE GOP BECOMES A MERE SHELL OF IT'S FORMER SELF. TO THEM, IT'S NOT THE SIZE OF THE PIE... IT'S THAT THEY GET THEIR SLICE.
This political race ranks among the most exciting in American history. Seventeen Republicans entered the lists last summer in what party officials hailed as “the strongest Republican field since 1980.” Then Trump came down the escalator, took them on, and bested them all.
Can Republican Party elites think they will be celebrated if they substitute their wants for the will of the voters?
A Cruz nomination would be like taking the gold medal away from the man who won it, and handing it to a runner-up. The GOP elites would be about as popular as those Olympic boxing judges in South Korea.
* AGAIN... TRUMP IS MY #1 CHOICE; CRUZ IS MY #2 CHOICE. I'M NOT COMMENTING AS AN "ANTI-CRUZ" GUY!
The deeper problem here is the refusal of party elites to realize that the world has changed.
* AGAIN... (*PAUSE*)... THEY DON'T CARE!
The Bush dynasty is done. Jeb Bush, the Prince of Wales, understands this. He will not be going to Cleveland.
* THANK YOU LORD!
The primaries have starkly revealed that a new era is upon us.
Even the neocons, the dominant element among the 121 foreign policy experts who declared in an open letter that they will never work for a President Trump, testify to this.
They see Trump’s victories as a repudiation of their legacy, and a Trump presidency as the end of their post-Cold War ascendancy.
* AND THEY'RE RIGHT! AND THIS IS AS IT SHOULD BE! THE NEOCONS HAVE F--KED UP EVERYTHING THEY'VE TOUCHED!
And given the disasters they have produced for America, from Afghanistan to Iraq, Libya and Yemen, the nation would be well rid of them.
(*TWO THUMBS UP*)
Indeed, Trump’s victories, and the energies he has unleashed, are due, not only to his out-sized persona but to his issues.
People believe Trump will secure the borders, halt the invasion, embrace tariff and trade policies to reduce imports, and re-start the production of goods "Made in the USA" by and for Americans.
In his first inaugural, Woodrow Wilson said, “The success of a party means little except when the Nation is using that party for a large and definite purpose.”
Bush Republicans saw their “large and definite purpose” as creating a “New World Order” and “ending tyranny in our world.”
Trump seems to see repairing, rebuilding and restoring America to greatness as the “large and definite purpose” of the party he would lead.
And a new emerging Republican majority seems to agree.
* YEP. (BUT WE'VE GOTTA GET THE HOLD-OUTS TO JOIN US...!)
If Trump had been routed, as first expected, then his message could rightly have been regarded as outside the mainstream. But Republican voters rallied to the issues he raised. To either ignore the clear instructions of its electorate, or renounce their chosen messenger, would be for the Republican Party to forfeit its future, and cling to a discredited and dead past.