By Patrick J. Buchanan
* * *
“Things reveal themselves passing away,” wrote W. B. Yeats.
Whatever one may think of Donald Trump, his campaign has done us a service — exposing the underbelly of a decaying Establishment whose repudiation by America’s silent majority is long overdue.
According to The New York Times, super PACs of Trump’s GOP rivals, including PACs of candidates who have dropped out, are raising and spending millions to destroy the probable nominee.
Goals of the anti-Trump conspirators: Manipulate the rules and steal the nomination at Cleveland.
Failing that, pull out all the stops and torpedo any Trump-led ticket in the fall.
This is vindictiveness of a high order.
* THIS IS... TREASON AGAINST "WE THE PEOPLE" WHO ARE REGISTERED REPUBLICANS - AT THE VERY LEAST!
* AND I USE THE WORD "TREASON" VERY DELIBERATELY. NO. NOT IN A LEGAL SENSE. BUT CERTAINLY IN A LINGUISTIC SENSE. WHAT THESE SCUM ARE TRYING TO DO GOES BEYOND THE BOUNDS OF "POLITICS." THIS IS BETRAYAL OF BASIC PRINCIPLE OF THE HIGHEST ORDER. IN A LEGAL SENSE... WE'RE TALKING MALFEASANCE.
Last week came reports on another closed conclave of the “Never Trump” cabal at the Army and Navy Club in D.C.
Apparently, William Kristol circulated a memo detailing how to rob Trump of the nomination, even if he finishes first in states, votes and delegates.
* AND AGAIN... IF TRUMP FAILS TO GET THE 1239 HE NEEDS FOR A "STRAIGHT WIN" UNDER THE RULES... FINE - LET THERE BE A RUN-OFF BETWEEN THE #1 VOTE-GETTER AND THE #2 VOTE-GETTER. BUT... THAT'S NOT WHAT THIS SCUMBAG KRISTOL IS TALKING ABOUT. (KEEP READING...)
Should Trump win on the first ballot, Kristol’s fallback position is to create a third party and recruit a conservative to run as its nominee.
* AGAIN... TREASON. THERE'S SIMPLY NO OTHER WORD FOR IT.
Purpose: Have this rump party siphon off enough conservative votes to sink Trump and give the presidency to Hillary Rodham Clinton, whose policies are more congenial to the neocons and Kristol’s Weekly Standard.
* YEP. AS I'VE SAID ALL ALONG... THE SCUM WHO RUN THE GOP ARE WILLING TO "RUN IT" RIGHT INTO A DITCH - PURPOSEFULLY - AND ELECT HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON.
Among the candidates Kristol is reportedly proposing are ex-Governor Rick Perry of Texas and former Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, both respected conservatives.
* NEITHER IS ALL THAT RESPECTED - AT LEAST NOT BY ME. BOTH MEN ARE PHONIES. THEY TALK A GOOD GAME, BUT WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE THEY ALWAYS BACK THE ESTABLISHMENT AND STAB THE RANK-AND-FILE GRASS ROOTS REPUBLICANS IN THE BACK IN ORDER TO SUPPORT THE "LEADERSHIP." THAT'S THEIR RECORD AND YOU CAN BROWSE THE ARCHIVES OF MY BLOG TO GET SPECIFIC DETAILS.
Kristol contends a third-party conservative candidate can win.
He can’t be serious.
* HE'S NOT.
It is absurd to think Gov. Perry, whose poll numbers were so low that he dropped out of the race last September without winning a single primary, caucus, or even a delegate, could capture the White House on a third-party ticket.
Perry would not even be assured of winning his home state.
* NOTICE FOLKS... CRUZ ISN'T EVEN BEING MENTIONED.
* YES... SEVERAL "NAME" RINOs HAVE ENDORSED CRUZ - AND CRUZ HAS "ACCEPTED" THEIR ENDORSEMENTS. UNDERSTAND THAT THEY'RE JUST ENGAGING IN THEATRE - ON BOTH SIDES. THE ESTABLISHMENT HATES CRUZ AS MUCH AS THEY HATE TRUMP... AND IN RETURN... DEEP DOWN... CRUZ NO DOUBT HATES THE ESTABLISHMENT WITH EQUAL FERVOR - PERHAPS EVEN MORE THAN TRUMP DOES. WHAT I'M SAYING IS THIS: DON'T LET THE SOAP OPERA FOOL YOU. DON'T LET DRUDGE OR THE MSM OR THE SO-CALLED "CONSERVATIVE MEDIA" FOOL YOU. WHETHER YOU'RE A TRUMP SUPPORTER WHO CAN'T STAND CRUZ OR A CRUZ SUPPORTER WHO CAN'T STAND TRUMP OR A RAND PAUL (AND/OR RON PAUL) SUPPORTER WHO CAN'T STAND ANYONE WHOSE LAST NAME ISN'T "PAUL," UNDERSTAND THAT THE GOP ESTABLISHMENT IS AS CORRUPT AND VENIAL AS THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND JUST AS DANGEROUS AS THE LEFT.
* FOLKS... NO MATTER HOW MAD I GET AT CRUZ AT TIMES... OR AT PAUL... OR AT TRUMP... I KEEP MY EYE ON OUR TRUE ENEMIES - THE DEMOCRATS... THE LEFT... THE RINOs... AND UNFORTUNATELY THE GOP ESTABLISHMENT. I URGE YOU TO DO THE SAME. THERE'S A REASON THE CONCEPT OF "DIVIDE AND CONQUER" REMAINS IN THE LEXICON. THAT REASON IS... BECAUSE THE STRATEGY... THE TACTIC... OFTEN WORKS.
Trump and Perry would split the conservative vote in the Lone Star State and deliver its 36 electoral votes to Clinton, thus assuring a second Clinton presidency. Does Perry want that as his legacy?
* LET'S NOT ASSUME PERRY WOULD GO FOR THIS. LET'S GIVE THE MAN THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT UNTIL... WE CAN'T.
As for Coburn, he is not nationally known. But his name on the ballot would take votes, one-for-one, from the Republican nominee.
* I HAVE LESS TRUST CONCERNING COBURN... BUT... AGAIN... LET'S NOT JUDGE TILL WE NEED TO.
If the supreme imperative for Kristol and the “Never Trump” conservatives is to defeat him, they have become de facto allies of George Soros and MoveOn.org, Black Lives Matter and Occupy Wall Street — and the party of Harry Reid, Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton.
* YEP! ABSOLUTELY!
However, if the oligarchs, neocons and Trump-loathers, having failed to stop him in Cleveland, collude to destroy the GOP ticket in the fall, they have a chance of succeeding. And Clinton’s super PACs would surely be delighted to contribute to that cause.
The Beltway has to come to terms with reality. It has not only lost the country; it has lost the party. It is not only these elites themselves who have been repudiated; it is their ideas and their agenda.
The American people want their borders secured, the invasion stopped, the manufacturing plants brought back and an end to the conscription of our best and bravest to fight wars dreamed up in the tax-exempt think tanks of neoconservatives.
Trump is winning because he speaks for the people. Look at those crowds!
Donald Trump is only the messenger.
If these conservative defectors from a ticket led by Trump collude with Democrats, by running a third party candidate to siphon off Trump’s votes, they may succeed. But they delude themselves if they think they will have solved the problem of their own irrelevance, or that they have a future. The party will survive. They won’t.
* UNFORTUNATELY... I BELIEVE PAT IS TOO OPTIMISTIC HERE. NO... NOT ABOUT THE GOP "SURVIVING." NO. I'M TALKING ABOUT THE COUNTRY SURVIVING. MY EDUCATED ANALYSIS TELLS ME THAT IF WE CAN'T STOP THE LEFT IN NOVEMBER... WE'LL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP THE LEFT. PERIOD.