By the Twits at the WSJ
* * *
Democrats have succeeded in persuading the Washington press corps that what happened when four Americans died at Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012 isn’t a story.
* UM... I'D SAY THE LIBERAL MEDIA NEEDED LITTLE "PERSUADING." THE FIX WAS IN FROM DAY ONE.
But the House report released Monday about that night and its aftermath contains details that ought to concern Americans who care about political accountability.
* "CONCERN," HUH?
(*JUST SHAKING MY HEAD*)
* THIS IS WHY I DESCRIBE THEM AS "THE TWITS AT THE WSJ."
Ambassador Chris Stevens and three other Americans died in that attack that is dissected in 800-plus pages released by Republicans on a House Select Committee chaired by South Carolina’s Trey Gowdy.
* A REPORT THAT IS ON PDF AND SO EVEN IF YOU WANT TO READ IT, THE FORMAT IS UNWELDY; AND AS FOR CUTTING AND PASTING (SHARING) KEY SENTENCES AND PARAGRAPHS... DOING SO IS A MAJOR PAIN IN THE ASS IN TERMS OF FORMATING.
* FOLKS... THE REPUBLICANS HAVE CONTROLLED THE HOUSE SINCE JANUARY 2011, THE SENATE SINCE JANUARY 2015; ARE THEY SIMPLY TOO INCOMPETENT TO DEMAND "READER FRIENDLY/EASILY SHARABLE" PUBLIC DOCUMENT POSTING... OR... DO THEY ACTUALLY PREFER IT TO BE DIFFICULT FOR FOLKS LIKE US TO SHARE STUFF LIKE EXCERPTS FROM THE LATEST BENGHAZI REPORT?
The report’s most disturbing facts concern the way the Obama Administration and then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton spun an alternative narrative that is contradicted by their private statements and the intelligence from the scene.
* THE WORD IS "LIED."
We learn from the report that the day after Mr. Stevens became the first American ambassador killed in the line of duty since 1979, President Obama decided to skip his daily intelligence briefing.
We also learn that on the day of the attack, in a 5 p.m. meeting that included Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, Mr. Obama said the U.S. should use all available resources. After that meeting, Mr. Panetta returned to the Pentagon to discuss what military resources were available. The Defense Secretary then issued an order to deploy military assets to Libya. But nothing was sent to Benghazi, and nothing was even in route when the last two Americans were killed almost eight hours after the attacks began. The holdup seems to have been caused in part by something else we learn from this report: a 7:30 p.m. teleconference of Defense and State officials, including Mrs. Clinton.
* FOLKS... AGAIN... I DON'T TAKE THIS "OBAMA SAID" SERIOUSLY. THE COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF DOESN'T "SAY" - HE ORDERS. AND CLEARLY NO SPECIFIC ORDERS WERE GIVEN. HE BASICALLY SAID "TAKE CARE OF IT" AND THEN... WENT TO BED.
* AS TO HRC... SHE DIDN'T STAY UP TO MONITOR THE SITUATION. SHE SHOWED NO LEADERSHIP. SHE DIDN'T DEMAND AN ACTUAL SPECIFIC MILITARY RESPONSE (RESCUE PLAN). SHE TOO WENT... TO... BED... WHILE OUR MEN WERE FIGHTING FOR - AND ULTIMATELY LOSING - THEIR LIVES.
Ostensibly they were sharing intelligence and coordinating responses. But they debated whether they needed Libya’s permission to deploy American troops to defend endangered Americans, whether Marines should wear uniforms or civilian clothes, and so on.
* FOLKS. CLEARLY NEITHER THE PRESIDENT... NOR HIS SECRETARY OF DEFENSE... NOR HIS SECRETARY OF STATE... ORDERED - OR EVEN PUSHED FOR - AN IMMEDIATE RESCUE EFFORT. THESE BASTARDS LEFT OUR MEN ON THEIR OWN. THESE BASTARDS LEFT OUR MEN TO DIE. AND THEY DID...
Even more telling: Though there was no evidence linking the Benghazi attacks to a YouTube video mocking Islam, of the 10 “action items” from the notes of that meeting, five referred to the video.
* OLD NEWS.
Mrs. Clinton referred to the video more than once in her public statements.
* AND THE MEDIA PROVIDED COVER FOR HER LIES AND MANIPULATIONS. FOLKS... IT WAS JUST A COUPLE MONTHS BEFORE THE NOVEMBER PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION; CLEARLY THE WHOLE COVER-UP WAS MEANT TO PROTECT OBAMA'S RE-ELECTION PROSPECTS - WHICH IT DID.
At 10:08 p.m. on the night of the attack, Secretary Clinton issued a public statement on Benghazi: “Some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet. The United States deplores any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others.” She repeated the point the next day at the State Department.
That’s not what she was saying in private.
* FOLKS... IT'S NO LONGER EVEN DEBATABLE WHETHER OR NOT OBAMA AND CLINTON PULLED A FAST ONE; THEY DID. THEY LIED. DELIBERATELY. AND YET AS FAR AS I KNOW... NO MAJOR MEDIA ORGAN IS CALLING FOR OBAMA TO RESIGN OR FOR HILLARY CLINTON TO QUIT HER RUN FOR THE PRESIDENCY.
* FOLKS... OUR COUNTRY IS BROKEN BECAUSE OUR PEOPLE ARE BROKEN. TENS OF MILLIONS OF YOUR FELLOW CITIZENS SUPPORT THESE SCUMBAGS.
On the night of the attack, at 6:49 p.m. Washington time, Mrs. Clinton called Libya’s president to say the attack on the diplomatic compound in Benghazi was planned and that an Islamist terror group had claimed responsibility. A few hours later, she emailed her daughter that “an Al Qaeda-like group” was responsible. The next afternoon Mrs. Clinton was even more categorical. In a phone call with the Egyptian Prime Minister, she said the Benghazi attack “had nothing to do with the film. It was a planned attack — not a protest.” She added that the Benghazi attackers were believed affiliated with al Qaeda.
On Monday this week on the campaign trail, Mrs. Clinton admitted that lots of Americans don’t trust her. “I personally know I have work to do on this front,” she told her audience. This report shows she has earned that mistrust.
As have her fellow Democrats on the Select Committee.
From the start they treated the House investigation the way Mrs. Clinton’s State Department treated Benghazi — as a political issue. They refused to participate in the investigation and spent most of their time denouncing it as partisan. Their minority report on Benghazi contains no fewer than 23 mentions of Donald Trump.
The tragedy of Benghazi is that four brave Americans in a dangerous part of the world lost their lives to a determined and deadly enemy.
The scandal of Benghazi is that instead of leveling with the American people, Mrs. Clinton and others who knew better opted for a more convenient — and corrosive — spin.