* * *
In his op-ed in The Washington Post, Chris Grayling, leader of the House of Commons, made the case for British withdrawal from the European Union — in terms Americans can understand.
Would you accept, Grayling asks, an American Union of North and South America, its parliament sitting in Panama, with power to impose laws on the United States, and a high court whose decisions overruled those of the U.S. Supreme Court?
* OBAMA WOULD. IN FACT, THIS IS THE DREAM OF THE AMERICAN LEFT.
* NO... PERHAPS NOT EXACTLY AS GRAYLING LAYS IT OUT - HIS EXACT SCENARIO - BUT UNDERSTAND, FOLKS, THE DEMOCRATIC ESTABLISHMENT... THE LEFT... AND INDEED MANY "PROGRESSIVE" REPUBLICANS... FAVOR "WORLD GOVERNMENT" AND THE LOSS OF U.S. NATIONAL SOVEREIGNTY THIS WOULD BY NECESSITY ENTAIL.
Would you accept an American Union that granted all the peoples of Central and South America and Mexico the right to move to, work in, and live in any U.S. state or city, and receive all the taxpayer-provided benefits that U.S. citizens receive?
* FOLKS... THE WACKY LIBERTARIANS BELIEVE IN THE ABOVE INSANITY!
* FOLKS... SANE REPUBLICANS... SANE DEMOCRATS... SANE INDEPENDENTS... WE NEED TO UNITE AGAINST THIS!
This is what we are subjected to under the EU, said Grayling.
And as you Americans would never cede your sovereignty or independence to such an overlord regime, why should we?
* BUT UNFORTUNATELY... GRAYLING IS WRONG! MANY AMERICANS WOULD! INDEED, CERTAINLY THE MOVERS AND SHAKERS IN AMERICAN ACADEMIA AND MANY THROUGHOUT THE FOURTH ESTATE (THE MEDIA) WOULD LOVE TO SEE AMERICA REDUCED TO BUT A SINGLE COG IN SOME "WORLD GOVERNMENT."
Downing Street’s reply: Prime Minister David Cameron says leaving the EU could cost Britain a lot of money and a loss of influence in Brussels.
* CAMERON IS OF COURSE WRONG...
While Barack Obama, Cameron and Angela Merkel are pulling for Britain to vote to remain in the EU, across Europe, transnationalism is in retreat, and tribalism is rising.
* NOTICE THAT ALLIANCE - OBAMA, CAMERON, AND MERKEL. IT'S "THE ELITES" VERSUS... AMERICANS WHO LOVE AMERICA AND BELIEVE IN "AMERICA FIRST" (OR IN THE CASE OF BRITAIN... "BRITAIN FIRST").
As Britain’s Independence Party and half the Tory Party seek to secede from the EU, the Scottish National Party is preparing a new referendum to bring about Scotland’s secession.
* IF ONLY WE COULD BE SO LUCKY AS TO HAVE PUERTO RICO EMULATE SCOTLAND!
The strongest party in France is the National Front of Marine Le Pen.
In Austria’s presidential election, Norbert Hofer of Jorg Haider’s Freedom Party came within an eyelash of becoming the first European nationalist head of state since World War II.
* AND I CERTAINLY WOULDN'T DISCOUNT VOTER FRAUD AS REPRESENTING THAT... "EYELASH."
The Euroskeptic Law and Justice Party is in power in Warsaw, as is the Fidesz Party of Viktor Orban in Budapest, and the Swiss People’s Party in Bern. The right-wing Sweden Democrats and Danish People’s Party are growing stronger.
In 2015, Merkel, Time’s Person of the Year, admitted a million Middle East refugees. This year, Merkel flipped and paid a huge bribe to Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan to keep Syrian refugees from crossing the Aegean to the Greek islands and thence into Europe.
In Germany, too, nationalism is resurgent as opposition grows to any new bailouts of the La Dolce Vita nations of Club Med. The populist AfD party has made major strides in German state elections.
While the rightist parties in power and reaching for power are anti-EU, anti-Islamic and anti-immigrant, the secessionist movements roiling Scotland, Spain, Belgium and Italy seek rather the breakup of the old nations of Europe along ethnonational lines.
By enlisting in these parties of the right, what are the peoples of Europe recoiling from and rebelling against? Answer: The beau ideal of progressives — societies and nations that are multiracial, multiethnic, multicultural and multilingual.
Across Europe, the tribalists are rejecting, in a word, diversity.
* NOT "DIVERSITY;" NO; WHAT THEY'RE REJECTING IS THE DESTRUCTION OF ALL WHICH MAKES THEM... "THEM." (AND GOD BLESS THEM FOR THAT!)
And what are they seeking?
God-and-country, blood-and-soil people, they want to live with their own kinfolk, their own kind. They do not believe in economics uber alles. And if democracy will not deliver the kind of country and society they wish to live in, then democracy must be trumped by direct action, by secession. This is the spirit behind Brexit.
The is the spirit that drove the Irish patriots of 1919, who rose against British rule, though they were departing the greatest empire on earth in its moment of supreme glory after the Great War, to begin life among the smallest and poorest countries in all of Europe.
What is happening in Europe today was predictable and predicted. At the turn of the century, in “The Death of the West,” I wrote,
“Europe has begun to die. The prognosis is grim. Between 2000 and 2050, world population will grow by more than three billion to over nine billion people, but this 50% increase in population will come entirely in Asia, Africa and Latin America, as one hundred million people of European stock vanish from the earth.”
Europeans are vanishing, as the peoples of the Maghreb and Middle East, South Asia and the sub-Sahara come to fill the empty spaces left by aging and dying Europeans whose nations once ruled them.
Absent the restoration of border controls across Europe, and warships on permanent station in the Med, can the inexorable invasion be stopped? Or is “The Camp of the Saints” the future of Europe? An open question. But if the West is to survive as the unique civilization it has been, its nations must reassume control of their destinies and control of their borders.
* AGAIN... AMEN!
Britain ought not to go gentle into that "good night" the EU has prepared for her.
* NO! THE PEOPLE OF GREAT BRITAIN MUST SAVE THEMSELVES!
And a great leap to freedom can be taken June 23.
Trooping to the polls, the cousins might recall the words of Vera Lynn, 76 years ago, as the Battle of Britain was engaged:
“There’ll always be an England,
“And England shall be free,
“If England means as much to you
“As England means to me.”