Thursday, March 3, 2011

Prima Della Pastrami


O.K., I have my problems with Walmart, but I've gotta give them props... their Prima Della deli products (available only at Walmart Superstores) are out of this world - as good as Boars Head... perhaps even better when you consider the bang for the buck.

Mary and I have become addicted to prima della pastrami. I mean, this stuff is the real deal... as good as any pastrami I've ever had - I'm talking New York Kosher deli quality!

So... Bill's recipe of the day:

Pre-heat your over to 350-degrees.

Take out a cookie sheet and "grease" it with butter.

Lay slices of pastrami flat until the cookie sheet is full. (Don't worry about slight overlap.)

Throw some sliced pepperoncini on top of the layered meat.

Bake at 350-degrees for maybe five minutes.

As baking proceeds take out a couple slices of the bread of your choice (I used whole grain with flax seeds) and lightly toast them.

One slice... Hellmann's.

The other slice... hot & sweet mustard.

"Dice" your cheese up... take the pastrami/pepperoncini out of the oven... "stir" the pastrami/pepperoncini mix around and re-spread out... "sprinkle" the cheese over the pastrami/pepperoncini... increase oven temp to 375-degrees... place on top rack and re-bake for, oh, three and a half or four minutes - till the cheese is melty.

Remove cookie sheet from oven (and turn off oven) and stir the pastrami/pepperoncini/cheese mixture around. Take half and stack on one slice of bread. Smear on some mayo. Top with the other half of the pastrami/pepperoncini/cheese and complete the sandwich using the remaining slice of bread.

EAT!

Oh... my... frigg'n... GOD...

Folks... I am the kitchen God! Worship me!

Enjoy a fine microbrew with your sandwich - something with lots of hops - and imagine the cholesterol being cut..

(Truly...!)

Chomp down on a dill pickle or two and you'll be able to point to that as your "diet" side!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in Spokane, Washington the Walmart has stopped carrying the Prima Della pastrami & corned beef, which are the BEST I have EVER TASTED. I wish they would have just raised the price if need be rather than drop the brand. The pastrami they have now is DISGUSTING. They did the same thing with their red velvet cakes/twinkies/bingles. They just stopped carrying them & they were absolutely fantastic.

I HATE Walmart, Costco & winCo for this reason, you find something great & then you can never get it again. Very frustrating!