Friday, November 28, 2008

Christmas Shopping

I love Christmas! And yes, I'm talking the "secular" Christmas of Santa and Rudolf and presents under the tree...

At the same time, though I'm not a regular church-goer, I sure as heck want to "keep the Christ in Christmas." While Christmas is "secular" in the sense that it's effectively a national holiday via its status as a federal holiday officially observed by all 50 states, beyond Frosty and Bing Crosby singing "White Christmas," there should be no doubt in anyone's mind that "Jesus is the reason for the season."

My favorite part of Christmas? Christmas Eve Mass. I've been attending Christmas Eve Mass (7:00 p.m. sharp for the caroling, service begins promptly at 7:30 p.m) at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Pearl River, NY with my best friend, Carl, and his family for the past 30 years. We - Carl and his family, me and mine - take the front pew, right in front of the hand carved eagle lectern, and Carl and I belt out the Hymns at the top of our lungs, giving the choir a run for their money!

My second favorite Christmas tradition? It's when we get home after the socializing following the Church service and the local "rounds" we make afterward - we usually arrive back home around midnight. My daughter Kim heads right to bed and my wife Mary retires soon after. Me? I pour myself a scotch, sit myself down in "my" chair, turn off all the lights except for the Christmas tree lights and lighted window decorations, and turn on the TV to watch His Holiness the Pope conduct Midnight Mass from St. Peter's Basilica in Rome.

I respect Pope Benedict. He's a brilliant man and intellectually honest. Still... I miss John Paul II and I know I always will. He was "my" Pope even though I'm not Catholic. Between the two Masses, all my religious "bases" are covered. St. Stephen's is about family and friendship and singing and joy. I can feel God there... I visualize God looking down upon us with a smile on his face. The Pope's Mass from Vatican City... watching it gives me a feeling of comfort - I feel the Grace of The Father upon me and upon the world - upon All of Us.

But I digress...

This thread is titled Christmas Shopping. The above sentiments are meant to place the following thoughts in context, the greater context of Christmas being a secular celebration of materialism as well as the religious celebration of the birth of our Christian Lord Jesus.

Today marks the "official" start of the Christmas shopping season, Black Friday. Three days hence... Cyber Monday.

BUY! BUY!! BUY!!! That's the economic message of the Christmas Season. SPEND! SPEND!! SPEND!!! Those are the marching orders. While some buck the "Shop Till You Drop" mentality, others insist "Shopping Is Patriotic."

Well... it seems to me there's a reasonable, rational, patriotic middle ground:

BUY AMERICAN!!!

No... seriously... BUY AMERICAN!!!

A few more links? Sure. My pleasure!!! BUY AMERICAN!!! BUY AMERICAN!!! BUY AMERICAN!!!

More links? They're out there. Whether you enter "American Made Products" into your preferred search engine or whether you narrow down your search to find specific goods, there's no lack of info on the internet. And speaking of specifics...

Here's a gift I bought for a friend's twin ten year old girls last year - Patriot Challenge.

The kids loved it. The parents loved it. Instead of sending our hard earned dollars overseas, instead of selling countries like China the rope they may one day use to hang us with, we'd be wise to instead support American companies, American workers, and the American economy via supporting American entrepreneurs such as Christine Nelson.

Other ideas? Com'on... from boardgames to books to beer and booze... we can all Buy American if we try. Have a whiskey drinker on your list? If he's anything like me, he'd love one of these American single malts. Beer? A great gift for American micro-brew lover on your list, and whether it's a single bottle, a four-pack, six-pack, twelve-pack, or case, who doesn't like opening something heavy?!?!

Seriously... whether it's wine or widgets, you can find American made gifts if you're willing to do a bit of research, ask a few questions, and last but not least, tell American merchants that you WANT to be able to find American made products at their stores and websites.

Call Wal-Mart at 1-800-925-6278 - Tell the customer service representative that Wal-Mart should be taking the lead in stocking more American-made products - featuring more American-made products - identifying American-made products as such for your shopping convenience. And tell them... politely but firmly... if they don't start do so you'll start shopping elsewhere.

Call Sears at 1-800-549-4505 ext. 5 - Ditto!

You folks get the idea! BJ's, Costco, J.C. Penny, Macy's, Home Depot, big box giants and your local mom and pops retailers... it's time consumers send this message:
WE WANT TO BUY AMERICAN!!!

Folks, it's time - past time - to make a fuss, kick up a rumpus. Make telephone calls. Send emails. While shopping ask for the store manager and tell him or her that the more American-made products they carry the more of your business they'll get. Talk to friends and family - ask them to do the same!

The American People
CAN and MUST support each other. Christmas is the perfect time to do so. Target your spending. Stick to your budget. Support local businesses such as owner-operated restaurants by purchasing gift certificates and urging the recipient(s) to use the gift card(s) sooner rather than later so as to spur economic growth sooner rather than later.

And on that note... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're kidding, right, Bill ol' chum? The solution to the over-extended American family saddled with debt is to ... incur MORE debt and become MORE overextended (but this time, in the Name of Jesus and Patriotism)?

Anonymous said...

Thought for the Day:
"Let them fail; let everybody fail! I made my fortune when I had nothing to start with, by myself and my own ideas. Let other people do the same thing. If I lose everything in the collapse of our financial structure, I will start in at the beginning and build it up again." --- Henry Ford, 1934.

Now, if only Ford weren't an idiot anti-Semite ...

Rodak said...

Ford is also the guy who said of the buyers of his product: "They can have any color they want, so long as it's black."

Rodak said...

Actually, Henry Ford did believe in the concept of the stimulous package. I'm not up to googling for the specifics, but I seem to remember that he once voluntarily gave his workers a raise--so that they would be able to afford to buy the cars they were building.
Did it work? Damn straight.

William R. Barker said...

re: Mad; November 29, 2008 11:51 AM

No, Mad, I'm not telling people to go out and spend money they don't have. That's why I cautioned, "target your spending, stick to your budget," in the last paragraph of my post prior to signing off with a "Merry Christmas."

Still, I take your point. (*SHRUG*) I agree with your point - which is why I made it first! (*GRIN*)

People are gonna shop for Christmas and Hanukkah presents though. (*SHRUG*) Telling people not to isn't going to stop them. Hopefully most will follow "our" advice and spend within their means, but obviously I stipulate that many won't. That's human nature.

The point I'm trying to make is that if you're spending - spending money you can afford to spend, but even if not, even if a person insists on being irresponsible - to mitigate that damage, to help our economy and our fellow Americans, try to at least BUY AMERICAN so as to stimulate OUR economy and keep OUR workers employed.

And if I didn't make myself clear...

DON'T BUY JUNK!!! Don't buy foreign made low quality products or the kind of gifts that either get put in a closet or attic still in their original packaging or perhaps re-gifted. (*SHRUG*)

Anyway... (*SIGH*)... if this "clarification" to my original thread post doesn't garner your agreement... (*SHRUG*) (*SMILE*) (*WINK*)

BILL

Anonymous said...

Don't buy foreign made low quality products

Like Bentleys, or BMWs, or SAABs, or Fabergé Eggs, or Nikon Cameras, or Rolex watches or ...

Rodak said...

But Barker didn't buy his Rolex at Wal-Mart. He bought it from a nice guy standing outside the Graybar Building who had it hanging with others on the inside his jacket. And...
...well, he looked American...

The Seaman's said...

I miss John Paul II as well, he was my pope. keep the good writing!

William R. Barker said...

Welcome, John, Sandra, and little Sofia! (*GRIN*)

Just checked out your blog; very cute!

Thanks for stopping by and hope you drop by regularly!

BILL

P.S. - "Eating, sleeping and pooping..." (LAUGHING OUT LOUD*) Yep - not a bad life at her age!