Thursday, May 7, 2009

If You Haven't Been Watching The Glen Beck Show...


...you should start.

I never listened to Beck's radio show; I still don't. (Hey... there are only so many hours in a day... so much time I can devote to news, political, economic, and social analysis, etc.)

Still... I've been watching Beck's TV show on Fox News since it premiered back on January 19th of this year.

Prior to joining Fox, Beck had his own show on CNN. Now just to anticipate the "gotcha" question of, "Hey, Bill, any reason you didn't watch Beck on CNN but watch him on Fox?," allow me to proactively answer:

"CNN Beck" was "pre-Bill's-DVR."

(*SHRUG*) (*SMILE*)

Beck's CNN show was on at an inconvenient time. That's why I didn't watch it. Same deal to an extent with Beck's radio show.

Beck's Fox show is also on at an inconvenient time... 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. weekdays. But here's where my "new" DVR comes in. I simply record Beck and watch him at my leisure, fast forwarding right through the commercials.

Listen. To those of you who have never given Beck a chance... I hear ya! Again... to reiterate... I've only been a fan since January of this year! But the reason I'm a fan... it's because I've been watching him!

Beck is not O'Reilly. Yes, I watch O'Reilly... but O'Reilly is 50% or more "entertainment" and while I agree with O'Reilly probably 70% of the time or so... a good 20% of the time he's way off base and 10% of the time - whether I'm in agreement or disagreement with his position - it's clear O'Reilly has merely stumbled upon the truth and doesn't really understand the intellectual and real world factual underpinnings of why his position is... er... his position.

Sure... with O'Reilly you'll learn some things you wouldn't if you limited yourself to network news and even most cable news... but with Beck...

Beck highlights the type of factual information and analysis that I do here at Usually Right.

Beck has a firm grip on our nation's history and has a sophisticated understanding of economic reality. For those who don't read the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Invester's Business Daily and so on and so forth on a daily or near-daily basis... Beck's show is a "MUST WATCH!"

Yes. Beck does impressions. He makes funny faces and rants and rambles and often incorporates sound effects - silly sounds and voices - into his his hyperactive slapstick delivery. Don't be fooled by his presentation style, though... pay attention to what he's imparting.

You folks know how I incorporate (*SMILE*) (*SHRUG*) (*HUGE FRIGG'N GRIN*) and all the rest into my blogging style, right...??? What Beck does is the equivalent.

Those of you who know me in person... imagine what the Bill Barker Show would be like.

(I know... scary!) (*GRIN*)

Where I'd be ranting and raving, yelling, banging on the desk, perhaps shooting paintballs into the ceiling, Glen Beck employs biting sarcasm to the nth degree.

Anyway... no need to take my word that Beck is worth watching. DVR a week's worth of shows. Check him out for yourself. I'm telling you folks... I wouldn't be recommending Beck's show if I weren't confident you'd benefit from it.

BILL


4 comments:

EdMcGon said...

Of the Fox News personalities, I prefer Neil Cavuto. Glenn Beck is ok, but for thought-provoking interviews and news analysis, give me Cavuto.

William R. Barker said...

You're a Neil Boortz man, right Ed?

(I just remember you mentioning him a few times.)

Anyway... for some reason Boortz's show doesn't appeal to me.

My point? To each his own. And just as you don't slam Beck, and indeed refer to him as "ok," that's how I feel about Boortz.

Cavuto? I love Cavuto! I just wouldn't put him in the same category as Beck. Still... like Beck Cavuto features fantastic interviews with interesting guests and he really goes toe to toe with his guests - which is what makes for great exchanges.

I've thought of DVRing Cavuto also, but again, I spend so much time reading/watching/listening to the news and "political" shows that I've drawn the line with Beck. I may rethink that in light of your post, Ed; I may try DVRing Cavuto for a week and if I do I'll let you know my reaction.

Do you agree with me about Beck vs. O'Reilly?

BILL

EdMcGon said...

Definitely agreed Bill. O'Reilly is a showman first. I quit watching him years ago because his opinions were populist and utterly useless.

Yes, Boortz is my preference as far as radio talk show hosts go.

Rodak said...

Glenn Beck makes Rush Limbaugh look almost sane.